AUTHOR GUIDELINES FOR MANUSCRIPT SUBMISSION TO SOUTHWESTERN ANTHROPOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION ANNUAL PROCEEDINGS
Please use the following guidelines for organizing your manuscript. Please refer to the SAA Style Guide.
Materials in PDF Format
FIRST PAGE OF MANUSCRIPT:
- Name(s) of author(s)
- Academic affiliation of all authors
- Contact information for all authors
- Abstract (200 WORDS MAXIMUM)
- Keywords (4 MAXIMUM) Example: [Keywords: racism, class, gender, labor]
See the provided SAA style guidelines. Pay close attention to:
- “Capitalization” (p. 1 of SAA style guidelines)
- “Italics” (p. 2)
- “Numbers” (pp. 2-3)
- “Quotations” (p. 4) especially (d) “Format for block extracts”
- “Parenthetical Citations” (pp. 4-5) and “References Cited” (pp. 5-6)
- Suggested length: 5,000 – 8,000 words [including abstract and references]
FORMATTING of the manuscript:
- Format manuscript in Word doc or equivalent ONLY [please do NOT send a PDF]
- Please use Times New Roman ONLY, 12 font
- DOUBLE-SPACE the body of your manuscript text
- Please number your pages
- PLEASE do not use any automatic formatting. Left-justify only. Just use a tab to indent your paragraphs.
TITLES AND HEADINGS:
- Subheadings: Left align and BOLD ALL subheadings. Use sentence-case [capitalize first letter of major words]. See the following examples:
- Introduction [sample subheading]
- Theoretical Framework [sample subheading]
- The following section titles should be in all caps:
- ABSTRACT, NOTES, REFERENCES CITED, ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
- Please use endnotes rather than footnotes.
- SINGLE-SPACE notes.
- If you wish to incorporate acknowledgments, these will follow the heading “NOTES” and precede the actual numbered notes.
- SINGLE-SPACE acknowledgements
See the provided SAA style guidelines.
- See “Reference Examples” on pp. 5-6 of SAA guidelines
- Title this section “REFERENCES CITED”
- See “Text Citations and References Cited” on p. 5 of SAA guidelines for how to cite references within the text.
- Please SINGLE-SPACE your references, with a double space between each entry.
- You are welcome to include photos [color photos will be in color for digital proceedings, but for printed copies of the Proceedings they will print black and white; please avoid photos that are too dark]. Make sure your photos are of sufficient quality that they will not be pixelated when printed.
- Send your photos with your manuscript as separate files, labeled appropriately as [e.g.] Figure 1, Figure 2, etc.
- In your manuscript, please indicate where you would like the figures to appear by using text callouts for figure placement—for example [Place Figure 8 here]. Figures will be placed in the final Proceedings as closely as possible to your callout, depending on spacing constraints.
- You should refer to the figure in your text, either directly in the text or in parentheses.
- If placing directly in the text, you could say “… as shown in Figure 3, the weather was very cloudy.” You could also refer to figures in parentheses. For example, you could say “…the weather at the time was very cloudy (Figure 3).”
- Figure Captions: Send the captions for your figures as a separate list. These should begin with the word “Figure” and the number of the figure [(e.g.) Figure 1.]. There is a period after the Figure number. The remainder of the caption should follow standard punctuation and capitalization rules. The caption should contain sufficient information that it can be comprehended by the reader without reference to the text.
- You are welcome to use tables in your manuscript. Please put each table on a separate page, and indicate your preferred placement of the table in your manuscript by using text callouts for table placement—for example [Place Table 1 here]. All tables must be cited in the text and the tables must be numbered in the sequence that they are cited in the text, even if there is only one table (i.e., Table 1). Provide a caption [and reference attribution, if relevant] for each table. Tables with their captions generally should be comprehensible without reference to the text.
If you have any specific questions or concerns about formatting, please contact Barbra Erickson at email@example.com.